External job announcement (internal applicants welcome)
Position: Deputy Chief Business Development Officer
Reports to: Chief Business Development Officer
Classification: Unpaid internship
Founded in the philosophical works of the distinguished Prof. Richard Buckminster Fuller, original designer of Tokyo Tower (among many, many other things) the mission of the Tokyo Global Engineering Corporation (“TGEC”) is to apply currently accepted scientific principles to the design of projects that cannot be implemented until the emergence of a global state. Headquartered in the North Aoyama Ward of Tokyo, TGEC has “employees” around the world, with well-educated persons, such as university professors, as the organization’s advisors, and learners, such as university students, as the laborers. None are remunerated, nor do they feign unremunerative intent. TGEC has two divisions, and two corporate boards: theOperations Division and the Support Division, and the Board of Investors and the Board of Advisors. Within the Operations Division exist the following departments: Bioengineering, Nanoengineering, Civil Engineering, Space Engineering, Global Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, and Communication Engineering. Within the Support Division are the following bureaus: Art, Business Development, Communication, Diversity, Econometrics, Editing, Employment, Finance, General Counsel, Grants, Health, Information,Innovation, Knowledge, Networking, Philanthropy, Procurement, Reputation, Scheduling, Strategy, Threat Analysis, Translation, and Workforce Education.
The Deputy Chief Business Development Officer (DCBDO) will serve as a leadassistant of the executive management, assisting the TGEC Planning Committee, and assisting the TGEC Outreach Committee. In collaboration with the CEO and CBDO, the DCBDO will assist in articulating and implementing a business plan for the agency that focuses on effective growth,assist in overseeing implementation of the business plan in close coordination with TGEC’s Planning and Outreach Committees, assist in building new partnerships to grow and sustain the organization, manage special pilot projects, and assist the CBDO in serving in a high-profile role representing TGEC’s CEO during key meetings, to investors, and the mass media.
The DCBDO will assist in overseeing a portfolio that includes: 1.) business planning, 2.) communications, 3.) partnerships, and 4.) special projects. The DCBDO will maintain strong connections to TGEC operations departments to introduce new business, to transition special projects for longer term sustainability, and to meet the needs of key business partners. The DCBDO will also assist the CBDO in serving as a staff liaison to the Board of Investors and engaging the Board frequently under the direction of the CEO.
In coordination with the Chief Business Development Officer and executive officers, the DCBDO will play a key role in the Corporation by focusing on TGEC’s business development and planning. The DCBDO will:
– Assist the CBDO in serving as co-chairperson of the TGEC Planning Committee (with the Chief Strategy Officer) and work directly with the members of the Planning Committee, TGEC’s Board of Investors, and TGEC’s executive officers to maintain and enhance the strategic plan with the following five components:
o Increase TGEC job pool, including larger anchor employer relationships.
o Augment existing strategic model.
o Explore options for growth.
o Develop the TGEC Boards of Investors and Advisors.
o Build TGEC infrastructure capacity.
– Assist the CBDO in serving as a member of the TGEC Outreach Committee and work directly with the other members of the Committee, TGEC’s Board of Advisors, and TGEC’s executive officers to maintain and enhance the outreach plan with the following five components:
o Increase TGEC project portfolio, including larger university and government relationships.
o Augment existing outreach model.
o Explore options for outreach.
o Develop the TGEC Operations Division.
o Build TGEC outreach capacity.
– Assist the CBDO in overseeing and growing TGEC’s Finance Branch, including assisting the CBDO in managing TGEC’s Chief Financial Officer.
– Assist the CBDO in supervising TGEC’s Planning Board officers that are not executives, namely, the Chief Philanthropy Officer, the Chief Grants Officer, Chief Procurement Officer, (and the Chief Financial Officer).
– Help the CEO and CBDO develop business relationships and partnerships around the globe, especially in underrepresented areas.
– Expand TGEC’s fundraising efforts in close partnership with TGEC’s Board of Investors and in line with TGEC’s strategic plan.
– Oversee special pilot projects including coordinating partners and managing staff, working closely with TGEC staff to set, track and achieve goals; and build and develop their business skills. Coordinate with the Deputy Chief Strategy Officer on developing these new program ideas and pilot projects and on integrating successful pilots into the Support and Operations Divisions.
– Deploy resources efficiently and effectively toward organizational goals, working with staff to balance workload and effort, and provide regular feedback so that key staff members can continuously improve their supervision and mentoring skills.
– Develop a team-based environment to motivate and inspire members to work collaboratively toward business goals, by clearly developing Corporation annual business plans, by implementing the business plans, and by mentoring.
– Coordinate with the Deputy Chief Workforce Education and Development Officer to identify and create leadership and professional business-development opportunities for TGEC members.
– Assist oversight of the budget-development process and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility.
– Support fund-development efforts through the promotion of TGEC’s semi-annual fundraising efforts, proposal writing, and partnering with the CBDO and CEO to steward funding relationships.
– Play an active role in strengthening and maintaining the management and governance culture and practices that reflect the organization’s philosophy.
– Assist the CBDO in acting as a staff liaison for the TGEC Board of Investors to provide guidance and help strengthen their connection to the organization’s mission, services, and service constituents.
– Monitor emerging needs and interests among key stakeholders such as clients, governments, philanthropists, and employers. Determine best practices within corporate culture and charity fields.
– Represent TGEC and TGEC’s CBDO on relevant committees and task forces, as well as at conferences, committee meetings, and training sessions.
– No travel is required; however, university students seeking internship placement in Tokyo have some options available to them, pending approval from universities assigning grades.
– Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusiveness, and empowerment.
– Impeccable communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent the organization externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
– Ability to navigate a quickly paced, outcome-driven, entrepreneurial environment.
– Strong global awareness and astuteness.
– Leadership experience in non-profit, for-profit, government, or philanthropic sectors, working on growth, business development, planning, or related issues.
– Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing team in a multi-tiered structure to include professional development and mentorship.
– Comprehensive working knowledge of organizational planning, organizational structure, budgeting, administrative operations, and fundraising.
– Demonstrated ability to analyze and evaluate complex business data.
– Strong relationship-building skills, with the ability find common ground, build consensuses, and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
– Undergraduate degree preferred; graduate degree in business or public administration or a related field is strongly desired.
Please complete a TGEC Form 1, Application for Employment, which can be obtained from TGEC’s Employment Branch at the e-mail address featured on the “Careers” webpage. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. TGEC offers this position as a highly competitive unpaid internship. TGEC does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of anything that otherwise lands the worst of corporations in court, and prides itself in its pointedly anti-discriminatory policies, while demanding the same of all its employees. All persons that believe themselves capable of performing all of the tasks outlined in this announcement should apply without delay.
Qualified applicants will be evaluated by the TGEC Employment Branch’s rating panel to determine the most qualified applicants and will be based upon the degree to which qualified applicants meet the preferred qualifications. The rating panel will refer the top applicants to the selecting official for consideration.
Please follow all instructions very carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.